Saturday, October 25, 2008

Hospital

Well, I had planned to be clever and was waiting until after my Hi Risk OB appt to post an update and belly pics for 26 weeks, but we've had quite a few surprises since then. Normally at my appointments the doctor checks the babies to make sure they are growing well and also checks each of their amniotic sacs to make sure they have plenty of room to swim around. Both babies are growing well and have space to wiggle, there are no leaks in either sac, and they are still very active and healthy. In addition to these two things he measures my cervical length and when he got to this measurement, everything changed. Apparently last time I saw him my cervical length was 37 mm and Friday 10/24 it was down to 16 mm. Anything below 25 is very scary for mamas who are not full term, so I am now on full bed rest and in the hospital. I will be here for at least two weeks trying to get the boys to 28 weeks because they are much more likely to survive once they reach that milestone. We are hoping to get them to 36 still, but right now we're just praying for two more weeks. I've been given a steroid series to try to beef up their lung just in case they decide to make an early entrance, but we've found that these shots make me have contractions (they got as close as 1 minute apart this morning), so I have another shot to counter act that side effect. Needless to say, I have been a nervous wreck and poor Matt isn't much better off. We hadn't packed hospital bags or anything like that (thinking that we still had plenty of time and things were going SO well). Matt has been busy running back and forth to our house (which is about an hour away) trying to get me comfortable and also dealing with the home and all of the things that I took care of (laundry, cleaning, grocery shopping, etc). Poor guy! Right now we don't know how long I'll be in the hospital except for the 28 week mark, but it's been hinted that I'll probably have to stay until I'm 34 weeks, so we'll see. Luckily, I have access to the internet and the unit I'm on has really gone out of their way to make us Hi Risk mamas super comfy. We can even have our pets visit for up to two hours a day, so I can't wait for Matt to bring Izzy. So that's where we are in life. Please keep us and our little boys in your thoughts and prayers. As excited as we are to have them here, we hope to still have quite a while before we meet them on the outside. I'll try to keep everyone up to date and will probably still continue belly pics if possible. In the mean time, here's my 26 week one from Wednesday.


Photobucket

2 comments:

The Edwards Bunch - 4 boys and a girl said...

oh my gosh! the higgs family are diffantly in my thoughts and prayers. nice to hear you will have access to the outside world. much luck! deb

Sara Scott said...

oh wow... what a shocker! I guess those pics are out then! maybe i can come to you there and see what we can do!!! :)

Email me and let me know where you are at.... :)

Good Luck.. and keep cooking those boys!